Thursday, November 22, 2007

Ten Things Every Child With Autism Wishes You Knew


I received this summary at the ABA conference I recently attended (see Nov. 16th post). Ellen Notbohm is the award-winning author of the book. Here are the 10 things to remember:
  1. I am first and foremost a child. I have autism. I am not primarily "autistic".

  2. My sensory perceptions are disordered.

  3. Please remember to distinguish between won't (I choose not to) and can't (I am not able to).

  4. I am a concrete thinker. This means I interpret language very literally.

  5. Please be patient with my limited vocabulary.

  6. Because language is so difficult for me, I am very visually oriented.

  7. Please focus and build on what I can do rather than what I can't do.

  8. Please help me with social interactions.

  9. Try to identify what triggers my meltdowns.

  10. If you are a family member, please love me unconditionally.

1 comment:

Casdok said...

Great things to remember.